Wednesday, March 21, 2007

**** First Break All the Rules by Marcus Buckingham

This landmark book based upon surveys by the Gallup organization focuses on what data says, not what hackneyed management gurus say.

Gallup’s 12 key questions to measure employee questions to determine elements needed for talented employee retention, performance:

1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my job right?
3. Do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
4. In the past 7 days, have I received recognition for doing good work?
5. Does my supervisor seem to care about me?
6. Is there someone who encourages my development?
7. Do my opinions count?
8. Does the corporate mission/purpose make me feel my job is important?
9. Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
10. Do I have a best friend at work?
11. In past 6 months, has someone talked with me about my progress?
12. In the past year, have I had opportunities to learn and grow?

Only 5 of the 12 are related to retention: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7

6 are the most powerfully linked to positive business outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

As a manager, if you want to build a strong workplace, getting high scores for these 6 questions would be an excellent place to start. P31-34

People don’t change much. Don’t waste time trying to put in what was left out. Try to draw out what was left in. p57

4 Keys:
1. Select for talent.
2. Define the right outcomes
3. Focus on strengths (spend more time with your best people)
4. Find the right fit

1 comment:

hcg said...

It was really nice to study your post. I collect some good points here. I would like to be appreciative you with the hard work you have made in skill this is great article.